Wigan Examiner 19 Jan 1901



We deeply regret to have to announce tht the body of Miss Tryphena Mawdsley, daughter of Mr Evan Mawdsley of the Fleece Hotel ,Wigan, whose disappearance since the morning of Boxing Day has excited so much distressful sensation throughout Wigan and such profound grief to her parents, was discovered on Tuesday morning in the the canal, near the top lock at Aspull. The parents have had the melancholy satisfaction, under these deplorable circumstances, of learning what had become of their daughter; but their suspense only, and not their sorrow, that is ended, and now that the worst forebodings have been so sadly realised, all hearts will go out to them in deepest sympathy. Miss Mawdsley was only 22 years of age, and had been in delicate health for some time past.

Mr Barlow, the deputy coroner for the district, held an inquiry at the Top Lock Inn, Aspull, on Thursday morning , into the circumstances concerning the death of the unfortunate young lady. Mr T Fairhurst was foreman of the jury.

Evan Mawdsley, father of the deceased and Mrs Mawdsley, the stepmother, gave evidence to the effect that the deceased returned home from a private party on Christmas night, and after she retired to her bedroom, she was not seen alive again, the body being discovered on Tuesday by a lock keeper in the Leeds and Liverpool Canal at Haigh. The parents stated that there was no reason to suppose the deceased had any cause to be dissatisfied with her life.

The lockkeeper deposed to finding the body in the canal on Tuesday morning.

Police Constable Johnson gave evidence as to receiving information that the deceased had been found in the canal and to removing her from the water to the Top Lock Inn.

The jury, after hearing all the evidence, returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased had been “found drowned”, but how or when the deceased got into the water there was no evidence to show.(sic)






The internment took place at Wigan Cemetery on Friday, when the Rev R Tebbs, Vicar of St Thomas Church, was officiating clergyman. Wreaths were sent by the following: –

The family

Mr and Mrs R Fairhurst sen

Mr Hall of Buxton

Janie, Maggie and Tom, aunt and cousins

Mr and Mrs H Barton

Owen, cousin

Mr and Mrs A K Heaton

Mr and Mrs E Barton

Mr and Mrs R Fairhurst jun

Mr and Mrs R Layland

Officers and Members of the Duke of Wellington Lodge I.O.O.F.

Mr and Mrs E Molatt

Mr G G Tarver

Mr and Mrs Joseph Dickinson

The Wigan and District Homing Society

The Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants

Mr and Miss Bullough

Miss Stopforth

Mr and Mrs Parr

Mr and Mrs Gorman

Mr and Mrs Chadwick

Mr A.H. and A Mason (sic)

Miss Ascroft

Mr and Mrs Pettit and family

Mr and Mrs John Houghton

and Miss Ford


The following were present at the funeral:-

Father, Mother, M J Evan, Nellie Mawdsley, Maggie Bolton and Miss Ascroft

2nd Carriage: Mr and Mrs Richard Fairhurst sen and Miss Barton

3rd Carriage: Mrs Hall , Miss Edith Hall, Mr Thomas and Miss Janet Halliwell

4th Carriage: Messrs, Henry Fairhurst, Jack Fairhurst, Evan Fairhurst, Henry Barton and Edward Barton

5th Cariage: Mr Richard Fairhurst jun, M Mason, Misses Bullock, Pettit and Cunliffe.

Alderman Layland also met the funeral party at the cemetery.


The coffin, which was of oak and brass fittings, bore a plate on which was engraved “Tryphena Mawdsley, died December 26th 1899 (sic)aged 22 years”