Broughton is a village located about 30km north of Wigan, beyond Preston. Broughton was the place of residence of Betty Swarbrick in May 1838 according to her marriage certificate. Her son Edward’s birth certificate indicates that he was born “at Broughton.” Henry and Betty were, therefore, probably still living in Broughton in Sept 1839.
St. John the Baptist Anglican church is located on the main north-south road through Broughton. It is an ancient church founded before 1112. Early records refer to this church as “the Parochial Chapelry of Broughton” suggesting that it was a chapel in Preston parish. Henry Barton and Elizabeth Swarbrick were married here. A walk through the churchyard has not turned up any evident family burial sites.