The Henry Harold Harrison Family

Approximate coordinates: N53°32.453' W2°37.845'

22 Wood Street, Wigan

This was the home of Joseph and Ellen Harrison in August 1865 when their daughter Jemima was born. This is the first known Wigan address for Joseph and Ellen, who lived in Blackrod in 1861 when their son Henry was born. It is possible that Joseph and Ellen moved directly to Wood Street from Blackrod sometime between 1861 and 1864. By the time of the 1871 census the family had moved to 6 Byrom Street.

Wood Street is an old Wigan street near the centre of town running southeast off Chapel Lane opposite Princess Street. It appears on the 1850 and 1894 ordinance survey maps of the town, although it is not named on the earlier map. The Wood Street Mill, an early cotton mill located at the end of Wood Street, is shown on both maps. It was a rather short, residential street in 1896 containing only about 25 houses.

Today the same Wood Street runs southeast off Chapel Lane just northeast of the Poolstock neighbourhood. Wood Street today is no longer residential and might best be described as derelict.